Visit our website at http://100friends.org for more information

Support compassionate, practical and culturally compatible philanthropy

Support compassionate, practical and culturally compatible philanthropy
Support compassionate, practical and culturally compatible philanthropy

Sunday, December 01, 2019

The Broken Rickshaw

In 1989 I chanced upon an elderly man named Babbu Sidhu operating a bicycle rickshaw in India. I was his passenger and at one point the vehicle cracked and completely collapsed and broke in two. It was a mess and we draw a crowd of curious onlookers.

I slightly injured my leg and arm. The driver was uninjured but he sat on the curb weeping and he was very distraught. I thought, "I am the one who was injured, so why he is crying?"

A bystander explained to me that the rickshaw was both his home AND his livelihood. He barely made enough money each day (about $1.50) to buy a little food and he could never afford to repair his rickshaw..

I offered to make his rickshaw like new on the condition that he would go to Mother Teresa’s Home for the Destitute and Dying in the slums of Kolkata once a week for a year, and take the sisters wherever they needed to go at no charge. It cost all of $35 to repair and revamp the rickshaw. When I returned to Kolkata a few years later, I found out he had kept his word and the Sisters of the Mother Teresa order were very fond of Babbu Sidhu and gave him lots of business.


No comments: